About Me

My photo
Despite many failed attempts to exercise more, eat better, and take better care of myself, I've decided to make the "Trophy Wife Resolution." Since I am the complete anti-thesis of a trophy wife, let's see if I can rise to the challenge!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Year of Wonders with the Book Club

The Book Club finally met to discuss nothing better than the Plague. After launching into debates ranging from whether the author used consistent language throughout the book to creating a realistic protagonist in Geraldine Brooks' book Years of Wonder, the Therapist started a tangent about being mediocre.

The Therapist -- who has met four U.S. presidents in her life, dated a Supreme Court Justice's son, traveled parts of the world by boat, is a terrific mother and possesses healing magic in helping homeless, single teenage moms -- defined herself as "mediocre". She believes there is "nothing special about her," and wishs someone had pushed her to become more at something, whether a talented musician, a better student or something that someone else might care about.

The Curious Case of Benjamina Button agreed. Although she is chronologically older than me, she looks 20 years old. And she gets younger every time I see her. If she wasn't the person I can always count on for a needed laugh, I'd think she and Dorian Gray share a secret portrait collection. She is also a brilliant engineer and great mother.

My Psychic Spy Who Lives at the End of the World -- who was able to correctly diagnose my life and family issues after spending an afternoon with me reviewing the stars -- doesn't think there's anything extraordinary about her either. After all, she fosters homeless dogs, has the natural talents of a Master Sommelier and has two magnificent kids, who would not have survived and been the miracles they are without her love and devotion.

The Sage's given name describes her. There are fewer priceless powers than having wisdom and knowing what to do with it.

Of course, my Book Soul Sister had to blow us all of the water. A shark appeared to be circling the beach where her young children were playing. People ran away and no one would go near the water. For some reason, she felt drawn to go in the water to help the fearsome creature. With all of her might, she wound up turning the beast away from the beach. As it swam away, she realized she had rescued a dolphin from being beached!

I've always known that she's secretly a mermaid.

Not only do they describe themselves as "mediocre," the tone of the onversation seems to weigh the word down to mean much less than average.

I was quiet, for a change, during the discussion. Between Wonder Mom and the Book Club in the past few days, a bigger question has been taunting me:

Why don't women feel enough about themselves?

I'll get back to you on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment